Healing the Sacral Chakra
The Sacral Chakra or Svadhisthana (meaning “your own place”) is the second of the chakras, located in the lower center of your belly and back.
It’s the “gut”- considered the center of our emotions, intuition, creativity, intimacy, and pleasure. It plays an active role in our sexuality and expression of our sexual needs and desires. Additionally it supports personal development and its energy shapes how one connects to and explores the world.
The Sacral Chakra is associated with:
- abdomen, bladder, kidneys, reproductive organs, glands and circulatory system.
- the element of water
- the color orange
- flow and flexibility. This energy assists you to move on, accept change, and transform.
The Sacral Chakra is motivated by pleasure and joy, and creates the foundation for your emotional wellbeing. It stimulates creativity + allows us to “birth” the life we want, as well as bond with others.
Therefore it’s really important that this chakra stays balanced in order to feel well.
A Balanced Sacral Chakra
One feels passionate, awake, creative, productive, stable, and fully alive.
An Overactive Sacral Chakra
- Emotionally and physically destabilized. Depression and anxiety will likely worsen.
- Intrusive + racing thoughts on the topics of life trajectory, success level, sexuality, whether or not you’re living your “passion”, talent level, etc.
- Signs of new or worsening emotional problems, compulsive or obsessive behavior, addictions, obesity, restlessness and hormone imbalances are reason for concern.
- Some experience intense, manic levels of sexual desire, possibly including new fetishes, or new anxieties concerning sex
- Physical symptoms such as anemia, hypoglycemia, lower back pain, joint problems, low energy, spleen and kidney issues, and premenstrual syndrome can also be a result.
- Deep feelings of dissatisfaction with life – feeling adrift from one’s purpose
- Like their boundaries are slipping, and/or they’re becoming dependent or codependent
- General feelings of weakness + fears of inadequacy- like you’re living a pathetic life (the worse case of FOMO ever) are quite common
An Underactive Sacral Chakra
fear of pleasure; lack of creativity; fatigue; lack of desire; insecurity; detachment; low libido; and not being authentic to yourself.
How to Heal + Maintain the Sacral Chakra
It’s important to heal imbalance in the body, just as it’s important to spend time with others, get outside, and have great hygiene. Here are some helpful tips + methods for healing a sacral imbalance.
- Meditation – For intrusive thoughts, high anxiety, and addiction, quiet the mind. There are numerous meditations specifically for the sacral chakra. I highly recommend this one. You can also put the sound on as you sleep and that will help as well.
- Surround yourself with orange – Place the color of joy and creativity around you, with art, crystals, flowers, cloths, etc. Studies show that the orange color can create physical effects such as…heightened sense of activity, increased socialization, boost in aspiration, stimulated mental activity, increased oxygen supply to the brain, increased contentment, and enhanced assurance. Orange also helps aid decision making, and enhances happiness, confidence, and understanding. (Bourne Creative)
- Connect with the sacral chakra’s element water – Go to a body of water and spend time being fully present with your body.
- Connect to creativity – Let yourself play.
- Get a Reiki massage – Powerful massages by an energy worker designed to heal and align your energy, you’ll leave feeling totally blissed out.
- Sound Healing – Sound healing is a very powerful way to align your chakras. You can use chants, singing bowls, or find something online.
- Affirmations – Affirmations, done on your own in the mirror, or with the aid of a phone app, are a positive way to heal negative programming. Information can be embedded in the subconscious but one can essentially reeducate and train the mind in a more positive direction. Affirmations re-program an overwhelmed subconscious with more positivity. Some affirmations for that help the Sacral Chakra include:
- I am passionate
- I am a creative being
- I have boundaries that protect me
- I am appropriate and respect others’ boundaries.
- I am capable of living the life I desire.
- I learn to work with my emotions.